Sunday, November 26, 2006

Brokeback Mountain



I was apprehensive about this film, because of all the hype and stigma of the "gay cowboy with lovely scenery tearjerker" flick. Films that I'm told I simply have to watch tend to get my heckles up...I don't have to, do I? Of course, everything I've read is true - it's spectacularly shot with some terrific performances, notably Heath Ledger as the stoic Ennis Del Mar. Despite what some Fire & Brimstone critics (probably without actually seeing it) have foamed, this is not a film with a "gay agenda", rather it is a subtly powerful and deeply moving love story.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I had such high hopes for this film when I took my Mum along for a spot of bonding to view it. And I was sorely disappointed. For me, I failed to see what all the hype was about, both plotwise and acting wise and couldn't help but wonder that, would this movie stand up wihtout the gay love storyline but replaced with a conventional romance between man and woman and still draw the crowds? Somehow I doubt it

- Penny from New Zealand
www.journals.jevon.org