Sunday, November 19, 2006

Brazil



The third time I've seen this, and maybe it's the most I've got out of it. Many elements seem to jar, from dystopian horror to Monty Python shorts and pure Gilliam strangeness. Cameos from the pantheon of BBC comedians just adds confusion to the mix, especially when Rabies from Maid Marian and her Merry Men is sharing a film with Robert DeNiro, but somehow, it works. Don't ask me how. Visually, it's stunning, the scary bits are scary, the funny bits are funny...however, the inconsistent nature of the film, with all its disparate parts not always working in harmony, is the reason I've given it a mere three and a half pigs...nearly brilliant, not quite...

3 comments:

dataphage said...

Chris, if you'd like to show a link to each new post or the last five posts of each of your blogs on the front page of all of them drop me a line on dataphage @ gmail .com and I'll put you together a step-by-step.

It's quite easy and I'm sure you can work this out for yourself but it might take a little fiddling.

TC

Rouselle Rousseau said...

did you know Kate Bush wrote some of the music for this? I have it on a weird compilation veronica made for me. it's quite good.

Jeremy said...

Brazil is my favorite movie not despite the shameless, genre-skipping chaos, but mostly because of it.