Sunday, December 10, 2006

Dune



Further bashing of an already established cinematic disaster is like urinating on the grave of the proverbial horse, but that isn't going to spare Dune the damn good thrashing it richly deserves. In a word, it's confusing. Massive plot developments occur within seconds, and only through repeated viewings & reading the book can you begin to fathom what's going on. By that time, you realise all too late how truly awful it is. Its' main flaw is that it takes itself too seriously by far, stops short of being funny and ends up just being embarrassing. Apparently, there is a directors cut, but I know few people who can stomach the idea of this film being even longer. All that said, this was my favourite film when I was nine, I still have a soft spot for it and I can't bring myself to utterly damn it (which throws my abilities as a reviewer into sharp relief). Credit to all concerned for trying so hard, and a pox on them for exactly the same reason.

No comments: